Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dw700d
Post Patron
Post Patron

power bi services unable to connect to sharepoint

Good day,

I have a power bi desktop dashboard saved to my desktop. I publish this dashboard to a work space in power bi services. The data source of this dashboard is sharepoint. Once I publish the dashboard to power bi service it is unable to connect to sharepoint. See the screen shot below.

dw700d_0-1659557269761.png

When i go to data set settings i see a few of the fields are greyed out. these fields include gateway connection,data source connection and schedule refresh. How can i connect my power bi services to sharepoint?

dw700d_1-1659557390579.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bubble4502
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @dw700d ,

If you created your datasets and reports based on a Power BI Desktop file, Excel workbook, or comma separated value (.csv) file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online, Power BI performs another type of refresh, known as OneDrive refresh. 

Power BI performs refresh based on an item ID in OneDrive, so be thoughtful when considering updates versus replacement. When you set a OneDrive file as the data source, Power BI references the item ID of the file when it performs the refresh.

You can try to reconnect to sharepoint and then publish it to service:

Get Excel Data from a Single File or Entire Folder on SharePoint or OneDrive for Business into Power... 

Besides, It seems that the current file is published from desktop, how does it connecte to the datasource? When things go wrong, it’s usually because Power BI can’t sign into data sources. Things may also go wrong if the dataset tries to connect to an on-premises data source but the gateway is offline. Please check if it need gateway.

For more details, please refer to:

Refresh a dataset from OneDrive or SharePoint Online - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Kind Regards,

Bubble

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Bubble4502
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @dw700d ,

If you created your datasets and reports based on a Power BI Desktop file, Excel workbook, or comma separated value (.csv) file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online, Power BI performs another type of refresh, known as OneDrive refresh. 

Power BI performs refresh based on an item ID in OneDrive, so be thoughtful when considering updates versus replacement. When you set a OneDrive file as the data source, Power BI references the item ID of the file when it performs the refresh.

You can try to reconnect to sharepoint and then publish it to service:

Get Excel Data from a Single File or Entire Folder on SharePoint or OneDrive for Business into Power... 

Besides, It seems that the current file is published from desktop, how does it connecte to the datasource? When things go wrong, it’s usually because Power BI can’t sign into data sources. Things may also go wrong if the dataset tries to connect to an on-premises data source but the gateway is offline. Please check if it need gateway.

For more details, please refer to:

Refresh a dataset from OneDrive or SharePoint Online - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Kind Regards,

Bubble

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

Microsoft had shared awareness for same issue related to dataflow on 7/20, as you are still facing this issue and with dataset I would suggested to raise a tickect with Support | Microsoft Power BI

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors