Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ritesh_Air
Post Patron
Post Patron

name change of a report

Hello Experts,

We want to change the name of the report in Power BI service but it looks trickier than the easy change.

We put our reports in OneDrive first for version control and it gets refreshed in Power BI Service. My question is, if we want to change the name of the report in service for e.g.:

"Report 2021" to "Report" and we change it in service

Ritesh_Air_0-1633204632577.png

to this:

Ritesh_Air_1-1633204664020.png

then how would it sync with the report in OneDrive because in Onedrive it is still called "Report 2021"?

Thanks in advance,

RK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ritesh_Air ,

For your confusion, when successfully connecting to a report on OneDrive, the initial data will be imported. Changing the name of the report in subsequent operations such as changing the name of the report does not affect the connection between the report and OneDrive.

vhenrykmstf_0-1633419957375.png

vhenrykmstf_2-1633420816302.png

In addition, keep in mind that OneDrive refresh does not pull data from the original data sources. OneDrive refresh simply updates the resources in Power BI with the metadata and data from the .pbix, .xlsx, or .csv file, as the following diagram illustrates.

vhenrykmstf_1-1633420046721.png

For more details, you can read related document link:

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Rename dashboards, reports, workspaces, report pages, datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ritesh_Air ,

For your confusion, when successfully connecting to a report on OneDrive, the initial data will be imported. Changing the name of the report in subsequent operations such as changing the name of the report does not affect the connection between the report and OneDrive.

vhenrykmstf_0-1633419957375.png

vhenrykmstf_2-1633420816302.png

In addition, keep in mind that OneDrive refresh does not pull data from the original data sources. OneDrive refresh simply updates the resources in Power BI with the metadata and data from the .pbix, .xlsx, or .csv file, as the following diagram illustrates.

vhenrykmstf_1-1633420046721.png

For more details, you can read related document link:

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Rename dashboards, reports, workspaces, report pages, datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ritesh_Air
Post Patron
Post Patron

@StefanoGrimaldi 

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry, I didn't quite understand what you meant.

My question is: Sorry, if I was not clear. If we change the name in service, how the OneDrive will know the name? And we don't want a new file coming from OneDrive as it will create a new report ID. As we have shared the links with users and it will be too much work to send all of them a new link.

if you refering to the one drive shared link it doesnt, when you change a folder, file etc name on a onedrive that its already shared, its stays as the same object so users that have already access to it dont loose access to it

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

the one drive version jusst named it the same as the service one, so when you upload that one drive version it will replace with no problem the one on the service just having the same name on it for the replacement to happen when uploading the pbix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors