Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Michael_Mertens
Resolver I
Resolver I

msolap.dll: when is it necessary?

Hi,

I'm wondering in which cases the OLE-DB Provider for Analysis Services is necessary.

Currently we are using SSAS on premises, via HTTP Access (msmdpump.dll). We have Infor Office+ as a third party tool for SSAS. It has two connection options: HTTP and XMLA. Both work. HTTP requires the msolap.dll on the client. XMLA doesn't require it.

I don't care too much about this tool any more, but now with Power BI and Excel on the client side and the Power BI service in addition to Analysis Services on premises there are much more combinations that I don't fully understand. 

So on client side we have

- Power BI Desktop

- Excel

On Server Side we have

- Analysis Services on premises directly

- Analysis Services on premises through HTTP

- Azure Analysis Services 

- Power BI Service dataset through "Analyze in Excel"

- Power BI Service dataset natively accesses by Power BI Desktop

- Power BI Service dataset accessed via XMLA Endpoint

- Power BI Service dataset natively acceed by Excel

To make it more complex we still have 32bit and 64 bit on clients (at least for Excel, the 32 bit version is still used).

Can someone generally explain a little bit how this all relates to the msolap driver or point me to a good web site explaining it?

Thanks and Regards

Michael

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Michael_Mertens 

From my knowledge I thought that the "msolap.dll" is only used with the HTTP access

If you have got the latest cumulative updates for your Tabular Model, it should work with all the other requirements for Power BI and Excel.

Also it should not make a difference when the client connects from 32bit or 64bit

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors