Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cazpian

licensing

Hi there,

Can someone please advise as to the following statement which was released on the 3rd May 2017 ...

"Free users will benefit from access to all data sources, higher workspace storage limits, and higher refresh and streaming rates. These changes will be effective June 1."

Does this mean that standard Office 365 users who have the Free Power BI license structure will be able to access reports that utilise an on-premises data-gateway to return the source datasets ? Up until now, I have had to purchase Pro Licenses for any consumers of my reports.

Kind Regards,

Tim

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Cazpian

Now, both Free and Pro users can use data Gateway. Please refer to document below:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-premium/

Regards,

This seems somewhat missleading as the Premium license fee is payable in addition to pro-licensing. This "Premium" service seems to be at a "Premium" price and I can't see any real benifit for my organisation at this stage. Looking at my case specifically ..

I'm a member of an organisation which has 300+ employees. We're not the largest organisation, however we consider ourselves one of the largest employers in the area. I have put some figures into the calculator for what I think is reasonable for our business case.

3 x Pro Liceses for the development of power BI reports.

10  x Frequent Consumers of power bi information.

87 x In-Frequent consumers of power bi information.

This equates to £3,119 per month, thats an annual costing of £37,428 for an enterprise reporting tool?

Based on £7.70 ($9.99) / month for a pro license, I could purchase 405 pro licenses for the same price pre annum and have everyone in the company on a Pro-License ? Is this correct ? I don't need dedicated capacity for our organisation as our current reporting is reasonably simple and we have local servers to do the heavy lifting. 

There is nothing here, cost wise, that makes me want to make a jump to dedicated capacity and pay these prices. It appears to me that there is a chasm between bringing on businesses like ours with the power bi tool and the leap to dedicated capacity and the premium features that come as a cost.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I'm not absolutely certain that's what that means but that sounds kind of correct.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors