Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chrisjr
Helper IV
Helper IV

export data from visual and automatically give name to the Excel file

Hello all, 

When exporting data from a visual from either the workspace or from the power bi dekstop, I would like that the exported excel file automatically have the name of the table. 

For example, from the visual below : 

Chrisjr_0-1698316998670.png

when exporting data from this visual, I want my excel file to be named "Average of tafrif " instead of a generic name like below: 

Chrisjr_1-1698317532831.png

Is there a way to  achieve this?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If we are talking about creating something inside the report. Then there is no way for local computer. I have thought on a second alternative. It would be using a button with the Power Automate visual. Power Automate can help you configure an export to onedrive or sharepoint of delimited columns table. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0dsCUeCFjg

But instead of sending email, saving it at sharepoint.

Regarding javascript, it would be something to read about. It's a deeper level of coding that requires read about power bi embedded analytics to check if there is a way to get that. I think the effort is too much and consider the development won't be triggered or run from the power bi report like the power automate alternative.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chrisjr
Helper IV
Helper IV

many thanks @ibarrau 

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. It can't be done automatically. I don't think this will change, consider that the visual could not have a name. This behaviour make sense. As a close alternative, you can configure your browser to always ask where to save the file. That way each time you export you can rename the file before saving it on the machine.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

thanks @ibarrau 

Even with some Java scrippting? 

If we are talking about creating something inside the report. Then there is no way for local computer. I have thought on a second alternative. It would be using a button with the Power Automate visual. Power Automate can help you configure an export to onedrive or sharepoint of delimited columns table. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0dsCUeCFjg

But instead of sending email, saving it at sharepoint.

Regarding javascript, it would be something to read about. It's a deeper level of coding that requires read about power bi embedded analytics to check if there is a way to get that. I think the effort is too much and consider the development won't be triggered or run from the power bi report like the power automate alternative.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors