Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ovonel
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

access not enforced in the .pbix file

When it comes to access, I see a discrepancy when opening a .pbix and when seeing the end result in app.powerbi

I consume data from a SSAS cube, and I have specifically a FALSE() dax filter for some users:

ovonel_0-1645699146033.png

This works fine when the report is in app.powerbi but this access restriction does not get enforced when the user opens the .pbix.

Why is this behavior? Can it be changed?

4 REPLIES 4
ovonel
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

I consume data live from a SSAS cube; so we don't have that option...

ovonel
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

As you can see in the screenshot I am already restricting data to the user... that is exactly the issue, that the restriction works in app.powerbi after the report is published, but it doesnt work when the same user opens the pbix with Power BI Desktop app

@ovonel ,

Are you using RLS to restrict data?

If yes, the user will need to "Modelling -> View as role" option to see the restricted data.

PBI Desktop file won't automatically apply restriction since it is meant to be for developers and hence all features are given by default.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @ovonel ,

For restricting data according to user, I feel you should have Row Level Security(RLS) applied to your pbix file and configured in workspace.

Reference Link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

You will also find many tutorials in YouTube for the same.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors