Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Frostwind
Frequent Visitor

Why loading data from dataflow requires Gateway

Hello everyone.

On our PPU workspace we have a set of dataflows loading and processing data from our SQL database. This part works correctly: requests go through gateway, we see SQL requests in SQL profier, gateway does its work too as I can see by CPU and processes list.

Additionally we have datasets, that collect processed data from the dataflows on the same workspace.

When the datasets load data from the dataflows I see that no SQL requests go to the database, but our On-Premise Gateway shows high CPU load. 

When I open Gateway and cloud connections settings of the dataset, I see a note:

You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway for enhanced control over how you connect

Frostwind_0-1697060916841.png

But if I try to map datasource to Cloud Connections (below), during refresh it gives error:

Refresh failed because this dataset requires a gateway. Please select a gateway from dataset settings.

Frostwind_1-1697061169004.png

Question: Is that correct behaviour? Am I missing some settings here? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Seems like I found the issue.

The error message was misleading. Dataset doesn't require gateway. When you switch to cloud connection, you need to reauthenticate at Data source credentials below. For some reasons Power BI was not able verify credentials there, but the warning message is visible only if you open that setting, so I didn't see it.

Now it works through direct connection

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Frostwind 

Yes that is correct because if you are using a combination of cloud and on-premise connections it then routes all the traffic through the gateway.

This is by design.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Seems like I found the issue.

The error message was misleading. Dataset doesn't require gateway. When you switch to cloud connection, you need to reauthenticate at Data source credentials below. For some reasons Power BI was not able verify credentials there, but the warning message is visible only if you open that setting, so I didn't see it.

Now it works through direct connection

@GilbertQ, thank you for the response.

Can I clarify one more moment? What do you mean by a combination of cloud and on-premise connections? Aren't dataflows and datasets both on the cloud? Datasets connect only to dataflows, they don't have any other connections. And they both are in the same workspace

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors