Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

NewUser777
Resolver I
Resolver I

Why cant a dataset which was built using Tabular editor be downloaded from Power BI Premium service

Why cant a dataset which was built and published using Tabular editor be downloaded from Power BI Premium service.

I had created a dataset and deployed it on Power BI Premium service but I cannot download it . Below is the message I get 

NewUser777_0-1677276630259.png

On Tabular editor portal it says -

Once a change is made to a Power BI dataset through the XMLA endpoint, it will not be possible to download the dataset as a .pbix file. More information.

https://docs.tabulareditor.com/te3/powerbi-xmla.html

When I click on more info , it points to the link -https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-connect-tools#power-bi-desktop...

At this time, a write operation on a dataset authored in Power BI Desktop prevents it from being downloaded back as a PBIX file. Be sure to retain your original PBIX file.

I dont see clear explanation .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Because the service does not know how to compile a unified PBIX file when once the BIM file that contains all of the model definitions has been modified via XMLA endpoint. There are a lot of causes of this - editing via XMLA ENdpoint, turning on large dataset (that splits the BIM file and the actual dataset into two), data that has moved through deployment pipelines, etc.

When you upload a PBIX and don't touch the dataset - other than to refresh it - the service is able to rebuild that PBIX. Once you modify the dataset though via a number of ways, the service doesn't have the code yet to recompile the PBIX. It is on the list of things to do, but has been there a while and no idea when it will be possible.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Not quite a "download" but if you create an empty pbix file you can do diff against a model on an xlma end point using ALM toolkit. Effectively moves all of the model onto your new local empty pbix file.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

That will tell you the differences @bcdobbs but it won't populate the PBIX with that info. ALM Toolkit only does "supported operations" on PBIX files, which is for the most part, measures. It won't create tables, shared expressions, calculated columns, calculated tables, or relationships.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thanks @edhans, had never realised that! Sorry @NewUser777 

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
edhans
Super User
Super User

Because the service does not know how to compile a unified PBIX file when once the BIM file that contains all of the model definitions has been modified via XMLA endpoint. There are a lot of causes of this - editing via XMLA ENdpoint, turning on large dataset (that splits the BIM file and the actual dataset into two), data that has moved through deployment pipelines, etc.

When you upload a PBIX and don't touch the dataset - other than to refresh it - the service is able to rebuild that PBIX. Once you modify the dataset though via a number of ways, the service doesn't have the code yet to recompile the PBIX. It is on the list of things to do, but has been there a while and no idea when it will be possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors