Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which tenant settings enebles Live Connection to Power BI Service dataset?

Hello, I'm looking for an exact setting from PBI Service admin portal that allows users to create live connection to dataset published in PBI Service. 

To be precise, by creating live connection to dataset I mean what happens after users goes like this in PBI Desktop:

SiwatLudzieTy_0-1696335410376.png

What is the name of that tenant setting? 

Many Thanks! Kamil

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ibarrau,

thanks for explaining how this option works in details.

However, my question is which tenant setting is resposible for enabling/disabling that feature?

SiwatLudzieTy_0-1696407781916.png

There is no setting to prevent that. Users with build permission at the workspace or the dataset will be able to open a Power Bi Desktop and live connect. However, you change the following in order to prevent them to publish a Report live connected to Dataset from another workspace. That way you can control there is no report in a workspace connected to anotherone.

You can prevent it for excel. There is setting like: 

ibarrau_0-1696421976548.png

You can prevent it from excel in a setting like: "Users can work with datasets in Excel using a live connection"

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ibarrau,

I believe there's a setting for that as some of our users receive below error message trying to connect to dataset, while others don't with same permission at workspace/dataset level.

SiwatLudzieTy_0-1696487899192.png

Have you try the settings I have suggested before? I have reviewed again the tenant settings and there is no other feature talking about this. Those two are the only ones talking about that feature. Please turn them off, wait 15 minutes and check it. 

A third option that looks like a different thing but it's the closest setting for this would be: "Allow DirectQuery connections to Power BI datasets".

The message has two reasons. Right now it looks like you have everything available and if some users have that, it's because they don't have build permission on the dataset.

I hope that make sense.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Power Bi Desktop let's users log in. The user logged in there is an account of a company at Azure/Office365. That would be the tenant. The company at Microsoft services.

When the user clicks Power Bi Datasets, it will open a UI with the Datasets at Power Bi Service that the user has Build permissions. The user can pick one of those and live connect.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors