Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

juh0h

Which parts of data are sent to cloud? Everything or just the result of Power Query?

Hello from Finland! 👋

I have an Excel dataset that has four columns A, B, C and D.

The columns A, B and C are just basic non-sensitive information, but the last column D contains some very sensitive information (social security numbers of people = top secret 🔐).

I read the Excel file to Power BI Desktop.

With Power Query Editor, I keep the columns A, B and C, but I remove the column D because it has the sensitive information.

I create a nice visual report that uses columns A, B and C.

I publish the report in Power BI Service (app.powerbi.com).

In Power BI Service, I click the About Power BI, and it says that my data is stored in West Europe (Netherlands)

My question:

Is the whole dataset with columns A, B, C and D sent to Netherlands to be stored in a cloud? Or only the partial dataset with A, B and C (not D which I dropped with the Power Query)?

As the column D has some sensitive information, I don’t want it to be physically stored somewhere in Netherlands. Therefore, it is important for me to know what exactly is sent to the cloud.

Is the whole source data from Excel sent to the cloud? Or only the transformed data (the data that comes out of the Power Query)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi juh0h! Power Bi takes data when you import from your sources and store it on the pbix file. It stores the result of the transformation built with Power Query. If you have removed the column on Query Editor and the close and apply. Then the column D is not stored because it has never reached the imported data. The PowerQuery query is sent to the source and the result is store (without column D). You can feel safe about this.

Now, even if the column is sent. Microsoft has amazing security features that you can manage to avoid people reaching the column. I guess that's a conversation for a different post. I just wanted you to know.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Henrykong_
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @juh0h ,

Whether the advice given by @ibarrau  has solved your confusion, if the problem has been solved you can mark the reply for the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly. If not, please point it out.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Henry

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi juh0h! Power Bi takes data when you import from your sources and store it on the pbix file. It stores the result of the transformation built with Power Query. If you have removed the column on Query Editor and the close and apply. Then the column D is not stored because it has never reached the imported data. The PowerQuery query is sent to the source and the result is store (without column D). You can feel safe about this.

Now, even if the column is sent. Microsoft has amazing security features that you can manage to avoid people reaching the column. I guess that's a conversation for a different post. I just wanted you to know.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors