Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

theDoc

Which License is best for a mobile workforce?

This seems to be a major issue that I am running into, I own a Semi-Truck Bussiness 98% of the employees do no need know or even care to know what Power Bi. We have a business Standard Subscrition with around 15 employees. That being said I have built a power app that tracks all of our trucking logs, I would like to integrate a report/dashbaord into the apps which shows the drivers an overview of their monthly logs, truck services, etc. 

I am the only one that builds these reports/dashboards but everyone else in the organization needs to see them. Heck I dont think I will have more than 10 reports in total and even those will be less than 500 mb (including the data). Things I have checked off so far

Power Bi Free - Cannot share among the workforce (Minus mannually pulling the report into a power Point or PDF or something)

Pro - Everyone needs a license. 

PPU - I thought this would work, but the fact that no free users can see this unless they have a PPU license makes this basically useless. Why would I pay 20 dollars a month for each person when the only thing they are using within Power Bi is viewing a dashboard for 20 minutes. I have a hard time understanding why Microsoft doesnt allow free users to view reports like the Premium. This would of been perfect for small business like mine. I would gladly pay 20 dollars a month for 1 user to use the tool and others to just view it, but from what I have tried and seen this isnt the case. 

Skus - All billed hourly, not worth it. 

Per Apps Plan -  Maybe an Option?? But why should I have to pay 75 dollars extra per month just for people to View my Data. 

Ive looked into Azure Option also - 1 dollar an hour for people to view it is not an option. 

I was so happy with M365 Business came out because it seemed like Microsoft took a giant step towards helping out smaller businesses like the trucking industry, farmers, and blue collar sector in general. I thought they would finally be able to use all the tools within a single data lake and it would actually help these businesses.

So I am very confused if PowerBi isnt geared towards working class businesses and or small bussinesses like mine? Is their a plan out there that will help me without costing me 10 dollars per user a month for my Drivers to read a dashboard? What am I missing here? The only thing I can deduct from reading everything is that Microsoft lets the enterprise big wigs free users see the files, and expects every small ogranization to pay the full add-on price for each user, even though only a select few people are actually using it for more than just viewing? Hopefully that isnt correct, any help would greatly appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @theDoc ,

First, as you know, for free users, reports are not viewable unless they are located in premium capacity.This is a rule fixed by the power bi license.

In your case, I have some shallow suggestions.
Since you need to share reports to your users, you have to make sure that they all have pro license, because as I mentioned above, free users can only see what is located in premium capacity, but the cost of buying premium capacity is very high and not suitable for small businesses. So the option of giving pro licenses to members of the organization should be the preferred option. This way, you can ensure that the reports you share are available for them to view.

Then,you require only one user to have build permission, the others can only view. 

Just click this otpion(the second) to give user build permission. For other users, you do not need to click any option.

vmengzhumsft_0-1663058358855.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @theDoc ,

First, as you know, for free users, reports are not viewable unless they are located in premium capacity.This is a rule fixed by the power bi license.

In your case, I have some shallow suggestions.
Since you need to share reports to your users, you have to make sure that they all have pro license, because as I mentioned above, free users can only see what is located in premium capacity, but the cost of buying premium capacity is very high and not suitable for small businesses. So the option of giving pro licenses to members of the organization should be the preferred option. This way, you can ensure that the reports you share are available for them to view.

Then,you require only one user to have build permission, the others can only view. 

Just click this otpion(the second) to give user build permission. For other users, you do not need to click any option.

vmengzhumsft_0-1663058358855.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@theDoc So you only need this for 15 users or ?

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I need one user to build, 14 to view it only. The other 14 users are all semi truck divers who only use a computer to sign a time card. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors