Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ayush_alation
Regular Visitor

What is the PBIX file size limit when downloading through PowerBI Export Report Rest API

I'm using Reports - Export Report (PowerBI Rest API) to download the pbix files. I couldn't find any documentation related to the maximum report size we can download using the above API. Can you please confirm if there's any pbix file size limit when downloading using REST API?

8 REPLIES 8
v-jialluo-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ayush_alation ,

After you configure incremental refresh and publish to the service, you cannot download the PBIX back.
This is a known limitation of incremental refresh, and you cannot download PBIX by any means.

Incremental refresh for datasets and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vjialluomsft_0-1669687824483.png

Best Regards,

Gallen Luo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jialluo-msft , according to the documented limitaions - 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix#limitations-when-do....

My query is if it is possible to download such reports via REST API, providing some param to download in live connected report mode?

ayush_alation
Regular Visitor

Thanks @StefanoGrimaldi for the reply. If you can confirm the size that'll be really helpful.
Regarding Point 2 & 3, that's true. It's been listed as the limiatations in this doc https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/export-report#:~:text=Download%20a%20rep.... But it's also mentioned that these reports can only be downloaded in live connected report mode. Is it possible to download the reports in live connected report mode using Rest API? 

for live conection there should not be any problem cause u arent using any of the said limitations, its basically a read on real time conection with no tranformations or modeling in the middle so it would let you dowload it there, for the size limit 1GB (also to the 3 points down there add if you configurate a model in workspace as large model option in the settings of the workspace). 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @StefanoGrimaldi, what is the error we get file trying to get PowerBI Reports of size > 1GB? Currently we don't have any large pbix reports in our database and unable to find the sample reports (>1GB) on the web. We need to handle the error accordingly in our used case. 
Also is there way we can get the pbix file size before downloading via REST API? We can use some kind of condition check in that case to prevent the attempt to download the file. 

@StefanoGrimaldi I mean is it possible to download the reports which are created using datasets configured with a incremental refresh, or that has been modified by using the XMLA endpoint, using Reports - Export Report (PowerBI Rest API)?

its not possible, all those cases u told unable a pbix t be downloaded, the last one should be fine for xmla or incremental wont. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

its 1GB if I recall correctly around it, but there are other limitations example you cannot download the pbix from the service if:

1) exceed the 1GB size (need to revalidate the number but around these 1GB - 10GB)

2) you used a XMLA endpoint to make a modification to your model in the service

3) if you have the model configured with a incremental refresh 

hope this helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors