Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Adithya_S
Employee
Employee

What is model size limit in Power BI? And what is the model size limit for PPU, Is it 10GB or 100GB?

According to the link - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-limitations-for-dataset/m-p/533275, it states that for PPU max size is 10 GB for a single Power BI file and after refresh it can go max till 12 GB, wanted to understand then how come this document - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/ is saying model size limit of 100 GB?

- Is model size limit is workspace size? or Is it indiviual dataset size? or Is it limit of all dataset sizes together?

Thanking you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Adithya_S 

in Pro licensing the data model size limit is 1 GB

the data model size limit for PPU is 100 GB, you have to enable "Large dataset storage format"

image.png

The dataset size limit for the different flavors of Premium Per Capacity ( P[x]/A[x]/EM[x] ) can be found here: What is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The dataset size can be extended to the available memory of the above capacities by using the "Large dataset storage format", meaning, the dataset size can be extended from 3GB to 25GB (P1).
I would never do that as this does not leave RAM for queries created when user are using the Power BI reports.

Nevertheless, there is another limiting factor that can not be changed, this factor is the size of the PBIX that is used to publilsh data, this file size can not be larger than 10GB.

If you are expecting that the dataset size will outgrow the 10GB PBIX file size limit than you have to use incremental refresh: Incremental refresh for datasets and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Hopefully, this answers your questions.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Adithya_S 

in Pro licensing the data model size limit is 1 GB

the data model size limit for PPU is 100 GB, you have to enable "Large dataset storage format"

image.png

The dataset size limit for the different flavors of Premium Per Capacity ( P[x]/A[x]/EM[x] ) can be found here: What is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The dataset size can be extended to the available memory of the above capacities by using the "Large dataset storage format", meaning, the dataset size can be extended from 3GB to 25GB (P1).
I would never do that as this does not leave RAM for queries created when user are using the Power BI reports.

Nevertheless, there is another limiting factor that can not be changed, this factor is the size of the PBIX that is used to publilsh data, this file size can not be larger than 10GB.

If you are expecting that the dataset size will outgrow the 10GB PBIX file size limit than you have to use incremental refresh: Incremental refresh for datasets and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Hopefully, this answers your questions.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors