Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Users can't see application content

Hi,

I have multiple workspaces that are located in a premium capacity. We have split up the datasets and reports into two different workspaces, e.g. "Workspace - Reports" and "Workspace - Data". There is a created application based on the workspace with the reports that are all connected to the datasets in "Workspace - Data".

When the application is updated/created, I am expecting them to be able to see the reports since they are added with permissions to view the application but they get an error that they can't view it.

Are there more restrictions when they are in different workspaces? Or that they need build permission on the datasets in the "Workspace - Data" workspace? It seems that i'm missing something.

Kind regards,
J

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

There are a couple potential spots for this - when you go across workspaces and you want to maximize the permissions of the users you need to give the user in the workspace where the data resides AND in the workspace where the report resides.

This link might be helpful:  Build permission for shared datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

I am curious as to why you are separating the workspaces if you are giving the users full control anyway?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We're separating it since we don't want them seeing the report workspace, just the application. But, maybe it's better to create the reports and datasets in the same workspace and give build permission on the datasets?

We're trying to separate things and now I'm thinking this way might not be the most sufficient way.

Kind regards,

Jj

Hey @Anonymous ,

If you have the APP permissions set where the user can NOT connect to the App, make copy or share to others, then they do not see the workspaces or the reports in the workspace.  It depends on whether or not you want the user to only get the established version of the report/dashboard in the app or if you want them to drill down.  Giving them the App does not mean you have to give them the workspace.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors