Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SylviaLiu
Regular Visitor

Unable to use DirectQuery with dataflows in PPU workspace

I tried to use DirectQuery with dataflows but failed. Could anyone help me to find the reason?

I've already read the doc about this function on official website. Here is the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/dataflows/dataflows-directquery 

I created a dataflow using "define new entities" method in a Premium Per User workspace. Then I enhanced compute engine of the dataflow and refreshed the dataflow. I tried to connect the dataflow using Power BI Desktop, but found that I could only connect it with import mode. Here is the screenshot of connecting the dataflow:

SylviaLiu_0-1659668180211.png

The workspace is a PPU workspace.

SylviaLiu_2-1659668584345.png

I just browsed the functions available for Premium Per User account. The official doc says that PPU plans include the function of Dataflows (direct query, linked and computed entities, enhanced compute engine). So how can I use the DirectQuery mode to connect dataflow?

SylviaLiu_1-1659668477086.png

5 REPLIES 5
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SylviaLiu 

It works fine on my side. Please make sure that the Enhanced Compute Engine is in an ‘On’ state.

veasonfmsft_1-1659942032220.png

If after reviewing the steps and limitations mentioned in this document, you still only see the table icon instead of the view icon in Power BI Desktop, we recommend that you try again after clearing your local data source credentials. ( File > Options and settings > Data source settings > Delete Power BI dataflows)

veasonfmsft_0-1659941278572.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hi @v-easonf-msft ,

I've already set Enhanced Compute Engine 'On', here is the screeshot below. But it still doesn't work. 

SylviaLiu_1-1659944172042.png

Today, I found a document  on blog mentioned that the enhanced compute engine on premium capacity should be enhanced before the dataflow's. But I can't find where to set this. 

Now I have PPU license, but my organization didn't buy premium capacity. The settings page of our PPU workspace looks like this. We could not shift to large dataset storage format. Could this be the reason?

SylviaLiu_2-1659945237037.png

Which dataflow connector are you using in power bi. There are two...

Power BI Dataflow and Dataflow

Last time I tried only the later one supports query folding which is required for direct query.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @bcdobbs ,

I tried both, Power BI Dataflow & Dataflow, but neither worked. 

Is your dataflow in premium capacity? We don't have premium capacity, so I'm not sure whether this would be the cause.

I've certainly run direct query against a dataflow using a premium per user licence so don't think that's the issue.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors