Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ddalton
Resolver I
Resolver I

Unable to refresh dataset through Power BI Service

I have a personal on-premise gateway installed locally on my machine.

One of my datasets gets its data from an on-premise SQL server (via Windows authentication) and has been running flawlessy for months, and can be refreshed through the Power BI service (on-demand or via scheduled refreshes). 

My other dataset gets its data from an on-premise PostgreSQL server (Basic authentication). However, the only way I can refresh the dataset is by publishing it through the Power BI Desktop application. If I try to refresh through the Power BI Server it fails with a message suggesting that the credentials are incorrect. The credentials are correct, as I'm using them locally to get the data so I can publish it manually. 

When I then check the gateway connection details for that dataset, it states "You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud" and doesn't allow me to enable the connection. 

And, when I try to edit the credentials it states "no such host is known". 

It sounds to me like it's not trying to go through the gateway. How can I fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ddalton
Resolver I
Resolver I

I had to configure an ODBC connection to get this to work. Refresh through the personal on-premise gateway is now working as expected. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ddalton
Resolver I
Resolver I

I had to configure an ODBC connection to get this to work. Refresh through the personal on-premise gateway is now working as expected. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors