Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vickyp00004

Unable to publish dataset using public cloud data source

Hello,

I am very new to Power BI and still trying to evaluate if it is the solution I need. I have a sql server database in the cloud and I want to use Power BI to create reports that can be accessed by people in my organization. The connection was configured to use Direct Query (I want the reports to always be up to date). I am using the Power BI Pro Trial version and mainly just testing things out. I installed and set up the On-premises personal data gateway, though I don't think I need it since the source is in the cloud and publicly accessible (Not in a virtual network).

On Power BI Desktop everything works but when I publish it gives me this error:

power_bi_publish_error.png

In the dataset's settings I see this error:

power_bi_published_dataset_error.png

When I click "Recreate cloud data sources" the message just disappears and reappears.

When I try to look at the report I get this error:

image_2023-09-13_080803746.png

In Manage connections and gateways I have:

power_bi_connection.png

power_bi_connection_settings.png

I'm unsure as to why the option to switch from On-Premises to Cloud is greyed out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @vickyp00004 ,

For standard gateway, when you had finished install and configure, it will run in the local machine as a service, if the machine is always turn on, the gateway will running at all times.

vbinbinyumsft_0-1694767786966.png

For more details, you can read related document:  Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
vickyp00004

I found the issue. It was the Direct Query setting on the Sql Server data source. I need the enterprise version of on-premises gateway. My question now is what can I do to keep the gateway running at all times.

Hi @vickyp00004 ,

For standard gateway, when you had finished install and configure, it will run in the local machine as a service, if the machine is always turn on, the gateway will running at all times.

vbinbinyumsft_0-1694767786966.png

For more details, you can read related document:  Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors