Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jin6622
Regular Visitor

Unable to display images from Sharepoint Online

Hello,
I am trying to add the images from Sharepoint Online to the report, and I have followed exactly same way as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EowHdhy-Nio&source_ve_path=MjM4NTE But the images are still not showing up. I have checked the URL and tested it on web browser and the images display correctly. And I have confirmed that I am logged into same account on Power BI services and Sharepoint Online. I know that the images are not working locally. Did the test on published version still same. At the end, I found the workaround by following https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2019/05/19/storing-large-images-in-power-bi-datasets/ but due to having too many images, the .pbix file size increases too much and refresh time has increased a lot also. So I cannot use this workaround as there will be more photos to come.
Due to the security, I cannot make the images folder to be visible to anyone. And the user wants to see the image in the report itself instead of having the link.

I have a feeling that it might be an permission issue between Sharepoint Online and Power BI sevice, but thats just a guess. I am usng Power BI Pro licence if that helps. I am a member of the Sharepoint location. If it is the permission issue in the Sharepoint, where should I check and which setting need to be edited?
5 REPLIES 5
jin6622
Regular Visitor

I did some more testing and looks like it is working only on Edge and only works when SharePoint Online is open at the same time. Does anyone know if there anyway to make it work without opening Sharepoint Online?

Hi @jin6622 ,

You can try this way:
Open Power BI desktop, enter Data and paste SharePoint image URLs with names and descriptions.
Please refer to this document for more details:
COMPLETE GUIDE TO EMBED IMAGES IN POWER BI REPORTS (PART I) 
If you are still experiencing problems, please take a screenshot of the problem page.

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

jin6622
Regular Visitor

looks like its not the permission issue as the person with Owner permission is having the same issue.

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

I have had issues displaying a large number of images from SharePoint also - my guess at the time was that it was some sort of throttling on the SP side, in that it's referencing the images by URL and trying to load them all on the report page at the same time. SharePoint does not make the world's best CDN is my impression. 

I cannot display all the images at the same time as the image need to be displayed depending on the dropdown selection. So 1 image per item and you select 1 item from the dropdown

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors