Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to connect to the data source undefined

Hello,
I noticed an unexpected error as below. Some dashboards are able to refresh while the others are retunring the error as below. May I request for your kind support on this. Please check the image below for the reference. 

Vk787_0-1666251961691.png

Note: I am using the latest version of the on-premise data gateway.

4 REPLIES 4
chrisghughes
Frequent Visitor

I was able to resolve this after looking at the gateway logs.

It looks like our DBA updated the certificate on the SQL server but did not update the default certificate for the SQL server.  And by default it was grabbing the expired one.

Updating the certificate in SQL Server Network configuration and restarting the services resolved the issue.

The gateway logs showed the following error:

(provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The received certificate has expired.)

It would be nice if the error from the gateway in the service was a little more helpful

chrisghughes
Frequent Visitor

I have also suddely started having this problem.  All my gateways are up to day.

This dataset has been live for almost a year with no issue. Then today it started failing with this error

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

We need to confirm a few questions with you so that we can better help you.
1. What data source and connection schema did you use when you created this report?
2. Did you configure the correct credentials for the data source in Power BI Service?
3. If you have configured credentials before, have you modified the data source credentials? For example, changed the database name or changed the password?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

1. My connections are direct SQL Server Connections

2. Yes, the credentials are correct.  The Gateway connects (is online).  In my case, this gateway has been live for more than a year.  With no recent changes made to it

3. The datasource has not been modified in anyway.  The only change was updating the gateway to the latest version several weeks ago.

Also of note, all my security levels are set to "organizational" on the local and service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors