Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

NZ0090
Frequent Visitor

Turning on data refresh with direct query

Hi everyone! I've created a report using direct query connection to Azure SQL database. From my understanding, direct query means that data gets updated in real time but I noticed that there is a Scheduled Refresh section in my published dataset where I can select the time the dataset gets refreshed. My question is, is it necessary to set up Scheduled refresh with direct query? Or is scheduled refresh only necessary when you're using Import/Mixed connection? Thank you in advance!

Screenshot 2022-12-08 151411.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @NZ0090 ,

Power BI doesn't import data over connections that operate in DirectQuery mode. The dataset returns results from the underlying data source whenever a report or dashboard queries the dataset. Power BI transforms and forwards the queries to the data source.

Because Power BI doesn't import the data, you don't need to run a data refresh. However, Power BI still performs tile refreshes and possibly report refreshes . In addition, if the gateway is not configured, the report of the DQ connection mode cannot obtain the latest data.

Whether you need to configure scheduled refresh for reports in Direct Query mode depends on your needs.

Please refer to the following document for more information.

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
IIPowerBlog
Helper I
Helper I

hello, Direct Query means that opening or refreshing a report or dashboard will always show the latest data in the source! 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Hi! Yes I do know that, but my question is whether it's necessary to set scheduled refresh if I'm using direct query.

Hi @NZ0090 ,

Power BI doesn't import data over connections that operate in DirectQuery mode. The dataset returns results from the underlying data source whenever a report or dashboard queries the dataset. Power BI transforms and forwards the queries to the data source.

Because Power BI doesn't import the data, you don't need to run a data refresh. However, Power BI still performs tile refreshes and possibly report refreshes . In addition, if the gateway is not configured, the report of the DQ connection mode cannot obtain the latest data.

Whether you need to configure scheduled refresh for reports in Direct Query mode depends on your needs.

Please refer to the following document for more information.

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors