Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

amalagocki
Regular Visitor

Trouble Setting Up Data Alerts in Power BI

Hi All,
I would like to set up data alert in PBI. I know that I PBI dashboard provides such functionality. I got the documentation here: Set data alerts in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I am aware of below restrictions.  

1. License Type:

• You need a Power BI Pro license or access to a Premium capacity workspace.
    • Alerts work on refreshed data only.
  2. Tile Types Eligible for Alerts:

• Set alerts on gauge, KPI, or card visuals.
  3. Streaming Datasets and Alerts:

• Alerts work for streaming datasets if pinned to a dashboard.
  4. Troubleshooting:

• Alerts aren't supported for card tiles with date or time measures.
    • Alerts only work with numeric data types.
    • Alerts only work on refreshed data. They don't work on static data.

I got almost every point above checked. I am sure that license type is not a problem as I have an alert set up for another dashbord in the same workspace
The one point I am not sure about is the streaming dataset requirement. I do not get this one so maybe this is an issue.
I never set up a streaming data set with its push data through API. And yet I was able to enable an alert. It was sql data coming through sql connector. And it works with regular dataset. Dashboard made by pinning a tile from the report.
It does not work now. There is no option to Manage Alerts displayed in tile's menu. The source is SharePoint List. Can this be an issue? 

Can anybody help here? I would like to enable this data alert. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amalagocki ,

Alerts can work with streaming datasets if you build a KPI, card, or gauge report visual and then pin that visual to the dashboard. So, it’s not necessary to set up a streaming dataset with its push data through API to enable an alert.
There have been instances where Power BI does not update or refresh against a SharePoint List. This could potentially affect the ability to set up alerts. 

You may download the pbix file, refresh it in Power BI Desktop, and republish it to the Power BI service.and make sure you are not removing any required columns.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amalagocki ,

Alerts can work with streaming datasets if you build a KPI, card, or gauge report visual and then pin that visual to the dashboard. So, it’s not necessary to set up a streaming dataset with its push data through API to enable an alert.
There have been instances where Power BI does not update or refresh against a SharePoint List. This could potentially affect the ability to set up alerts. 

You may download the pbix file, refresh it in Power BI Desktop, and republish it to the Power BI service.and make sure you are not removing any required columns.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors