Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

afox723
Frequent Visitor

Timeout occurred when sending or receiving a request

I keep getting this error on quite a few of my datasets.  Can someone help me figure out how to diagnose this problem further?Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 10.47.23 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The issue was narrowed down to a couple of issues.  The virtual machine that the gateway (personal mode) is on was not working and needed updating.  Also, the gateway needed to be updated.  Both problems seemed to converge at the same time and made for a refresh nightmare.  False alarm, but thanks for the intention to help!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@afox723,

1) Are you able to refresh dataset manually?

2) Which capacity is assigned to this dataset? Shared or decicated (like PBI Embedded/Premium)?

1). I am able to refresh manually SOMETIMES.  If they fail, I'll manually set them to refresh and occasionally they will still fail.  Also, note that the auto-refresh does not fail every time either.  They will complete successfully maybe 1/2 times.

2). This dataset merely gets used in reports and dashboards which get shared to other users in the company.  I am the only one with access to the dataset.

1) Can you reproduce issue? Or it is chaotically? It is very important to have possibility to reproduce the issue.

2) So you use shared capacity (memory) as usual Power BI Service user.

3) Are you Pro or Free user?

4) What is the source type? Azure DB, Azure Analysis Services etc.? If it is Azure then mention service pricing tier as well.

The issue was narrowed down to a couple of issues.  The virtual machine that the gateway (personal mode) is on was not working and needed updating.  Also, the gateway needed to be updated.  Both problems seemed to converge at the same time and made for a refresh nightmare.  False alarm, but thanks for the intention to help!

@afox723,

You are welcome. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors