Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

spartyon11

Thin Reports saving an extra dataset

I have a report & dataset published. I am trying to create multiple thin reports by connecting to the already published dataset. I am trying to create these thin reports from a company provided PBI template with approved branding/layout/colors. When I open the template, delete the couple data sources in there, then connect to the already published data source, it connects via a DirectQuery instead of a live connection. If I then build my reports and save/publish, it will publish a report and an additional dataset. If I start  with a blank report (not company template) and connect to the published data source, it connects NOT in directquery but with a live connection and saves only a report. The problem is, I cannot get the company branding, logos, and colors from the template on a blank report so i need to use the template. How can I fix this?

Steps taken to create thin report

- Create and publish initial report with dataset

- Open the company template PBIT file

- Delete any data sources present

- Get Data > PowerBI Dataset > Select already published dataset and all tables within

- Shows Importing via DirectQuery

- When I save and publish, it publishes an additional dataset for this new supposed to be thin report

3 REPLIES 3
spartyon11

Thanks. I noticed in the powerquery of the template file, it has a bunch of other folders and things in the left pane. I tried deleting everything (not just the dataset/tables), saving, and connecting to the published dataset and that seems to have worked and maintained colors/formatting from the template. I have to do some more testing to see if there were any intended consequences of my actions. 

Nice.  If that doesn't work, the other option may be trying to export the JSON of the theme to get colors/formatting and put it on a new file.

cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

It sounds like the template file was converted to use a composite model (live connection to Dataset + local tables/files), which forced the live connection to go DirectQuery.

I don't think you can change it back (see post below).  I'd ask whoever created the template if they have a version where they did not turn it into a composite model.

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Query/How-to-change-back-to-live-connection/td-p/304...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors