Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JensKlöker
Helper I
Helper I

Streaming Dataflow does not start

Hi there,

in one of our Workspaces we have trouble with setting up streaming dataflows. One issue is, that I'm not able to start a Streaming Dataflow. In the edit mode, I can set up the Streaming Dataflow. I can even see preview data, coming from an Azure Event Hub and there are no errors shown in the edit mode - not in any stage of the flow.

However if I want to start the Streaming Dataflow from the Workspace list view, the refresh circle is running for some time:Streaming_Dataflow_refresh_circle_running_for_a_short_time.PNG

However after some time, the Streaming dataflow "refresh" failes:

Streaming_Dataflow_failes.PNG

When having a look to the refresh history, it can be seen, that it usually failes after 14 seconds. However there is also one single event, which took much longer to fail. This trial has been the first one on this day. All the other events failed exactly after 14 seconds:Streaming_Dataflow_Refresh_History.PNG

Here is the content of the details csv-file (I changed the Name and the RootActivityId):

Requested on,Dataflow name,Dataflow refresh status,Table name,Partition name,Refresh status,Start time,End time,Duration,Rows processed,Bytes processed (KB),Max commit (KB),Processor Time,Wait time,Compute engine,Error,
NA,StreamingDataflowName,Failed,,NA,Failed,NA,NA,00:00:00.0000,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,There was a problem refreshing your dataflow. {"RootActivityId":"some GUID" "ErrorMessage":"Streaming model definition is syntactically or semantically incorrect."}

Since everything is fine in the edit views preview, I'm wondering about the given ErrorMessage. Furthermore, a month ago, I created a running Streaming Dataflow in a straight forward way and this one worked already for some days. So in general, I know what to do, to get a Streaming Dataflow up and running. However I'm struggeling with them since some weeks.

For the single event, for which it took longer to fail, all the csv-details are the same, but the ErrorMessage differs:
"ErrorMessage":"Cannot acquire lock for model 'WorkspaceGuid/StreamingDataflowGuid' because it is currently in use."

Does anybody know how to get this Streaming Dataflow running?

I created another Subject concerning another Stremaing Dataflow, which can't be deleted or edited in the same Workspace. Maybe the different issues are related to the same root cause. But as long as this is not clear, I want to keept things separated.

Best regards!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JensKlöker ,

We have submitted to internal ICM 260295618, engineers are doing their best to fix this issue, please be patient and I will give you feedback here once there is any progress.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

View solution in original post

JensKlöker
Helper I
Helper I

It seems, that Power BI does not support as many characters for event hub names (in the Streaming Dataflow block) as the Azure resource itself. I shortened the event hub name to 47 (from over 70) characters and with the shortened name everything works like expected.

It should be considered by Microsoft, if consistent character limitations could be implemented. If this is not possible for technical reasons, the different limitations in the different services should be made transparent to the customer by mentioning this stumbling block.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

Not enough information has been gathered to determine what is causing this problem, and the PG team will continue to attack the problem as soon as they have enough information.

Best Regards,

JensKlöker
Helper I
Helper I

It seems, that Power BI does not support as many characters for event hub names (in the Streaming Dataflow block) as the Azure resource itself. I shortened the event hub name to 47 (from over 70) characters and with the shortened name everything works like expected.

It should be considered by Microsoft, if consistent character limitations could be implemented. If this is not possible for technical reasons, the different limitations in the different services should be made transparent to the customer by mentioning this stumbling block.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JensKlöker ,

We have submitted to internal ICM 260295618, engineers are doing their best to fix this issue, please be patient and I will give you feedback here once there is any progress.

Best Regards,

Is this issue related to the dataflow (without "streaming") item, currently shown on the PBI Support Website?
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Power BI customers using dataflows may experience long running refreshes or refreshes stuck in cancelling state. As a workaround, please refer to the Power BI Dataflow known issues documentation. Engineers have identified the root cause and expect a fix to be deployed by end-of-day 06/30/2022.

Is there any update or can you at least provide an ETA for the bugfix?

JensKlöker
Helper I
Helper I

Update: Unlike the other Streaming Dataflow (which can't be deleted), I have been able to delete this one (which couldn't be started). I have rebuilt the Streaming Dataflow in a very simple fashion, and the new one also can't be started. Seems to be a bug.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors