Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Something went wrong - recurring error updating dataset.

Several times now I've gotten an error updating 1 of my datasets. 

What's odd, is I can rename the local file, upload - and it goes in fine as a new dataset.  It's just trying to update that errors out.  The error code from today is below (but this has happened pretty frequently the last week or so):

I have a ridiculous workaround in place where I upload my file under a new name, rename it to the old one, delete the old one, then rebuild my dash.  

Something went wrong

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Cluster URIWABI-WEST-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID50820cc4-c161-4c88-b1c6-d2bba7db2f68
Request ID826c6bc5-0317-4e3c-97ab-e050568d5c96
Time2018-01-26 17:05:37Z

?

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mmace1,

Do you mean you can't refresh your dataset?

1. Did you install the proper Data Gateway?

2. What's the data source?

3. Is this the error when you refresh your dataset?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I don't use a data gateway.  I manually push out an update.

There are many data sources this file draws from:  SQL Server, the local file system, Salesforce, & Sharepoint.  Possibly others, if there are old disused queries in there I haven't removed.

So, this is a  local Power BI file that I refresh on my local computer, then click Publish to push out to the service.

It refreshes fine locally, and when I click 'Publish', everything appears to go fine after it asks me if I want to replace the existing dataset, eventually saying 'success'. 

But then checking the dashboard/report online, I see things hadn't actually updated.  So then checking the dataset online, I see that it has an error.

And agian if I publish the same file under a different name - it goes through fine as a new dataset.  It's just having trouble replacing the dataset.

Do I make sense?

Capture.JPG

Hi @mmace1,

What's the error message when you click the yellow exclamation sign? I can't reproduce it. I would suggest you file a support ticket here.

create ATicket

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

The quote up in my initial post has the error message in it.

Thanks, unfortuntely I'm not actually a pro user (still on a trial), so I can't submit a support ticket without setting up payment (which would be even more of a hassle then getting myself on a proper license...and that's a hassle I'm not going to do at work until it's absolutely necessary).

Obviously rebuilding my dash is a hassle too - but *most* days I can refresh the dataset fine.  e.g., since this began, I'm currently on the 3rd copy of my datasets (two of them do this now...).

Hi @mmace1,

I found a similar case in the internal system. Please @me when you want some updates. Did you try uploading the file from the Service? There is also a Replace prompt.

something_went_wrong

Best Regards,

Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

No I did not try uploading the file from the service - I didn't know that option was there, thanks!

Coincidentally this morning though the issue came back, and I tried doing a fresh install of Power BI.  And now updating seems to be working...but that means I can't reproduce the issue today to see if uploading via the service can be a workaround.

When/if this comes up again - the first thing I'll try is uploading via the service, thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors