Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AlexWuhoo

Slicer Default Value effecting Power Automate export to PDF filter

Hello,

Currently I have Power Automate setup to export a Power BI Report based on a filter from a list of 'Agencies'.

Within the report there is a Slicer visual, which allows users to select the Agencies they want to view. How my flow works is, it takes whichever Agencies the user has selected and passes it to the flow, where the flow will then trigger an Export to file from PowerBI Report applying the selected agencies as a filter. The filter from the flow (from my knowledge) acts as a Filter on All Pages, and searches for the Agencies in the report and returns it as a PDF.

This all works perfectly fine, however the issue arises when say someone from the admin team may edit the report and accidently publish the reported with a random Agency preselected. From what I have read online is that a published report saves the last selection of a slicer and has that as the default selection. E.g. 'Agency 1' gets selected before publishing report and admin publishes with that selected. If a user then selects to view 'Agency 2' and 'Agency 3', and then chooses to export their view of the report. The automate flow will look into the default view report with 'Agency 2' and 'Agency 3' as the filter, but because the published version has 'Agency 1' selected on the slicer, the filter from the flow cannot find the values of 'Agency 2' and 'Agency 3' as the slicer has only 'Agency 1' Selected. 

The easy fix would be to edit the report and make sure the default selection on the Slicer is set to nothing selected, that way the whole list of values is available for the Filter from the flow to filter on. However, to me this seems too fragile of a system, as admins could constantly make this mistake. Is there a way to constantly default the slicer to not select anything.

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Eliminate the slicer.  Move the filter to the filter pane where it belongs,

This is a process problem (your admins not following required procedures), not a technical problem.

If I remove the slicer then my users wouldnt have the ability to pick which Agencies they want to view from a list of Agencies. There is no other filter within the PowerBI Report, its when I run the Power Automate flow that I apply a filter over the default view of the report to have the automate flow feed through whatever the user had selected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors