Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

arberceni
Frequent Visitor

Sharing a workspace V2 not working for external users

Hello everyone,

I am trying to share a workspace V2 with external users which do have PowerBI Pro. The external user is able to see the workspace as well as the list of reports (as shown below)

arberceni_3-1604336527017.png

but when the user tries to access the report, a blank screen shows up (as below)

arberceni_2-1604336440789.png

I have tried using the user's e-mail address to share the workspace as well as creating a Microsoft365 group and an AD Security Group and sharing with the group, but still nothing shows when the user clicks the report.

The strange thing is that everything works fine if the workspace is a classic workspace.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Regards,

Arber

5 REPLIES 5
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @arberceni 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description,whether all the opened reports are displayed as blank, or there is only a single one.
If there is only one report, you can check that whether RLS is used in the report or external users do not have access to the data source.

Also you can try to change user's permissions in workspace.

8.png

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-janeyg-msft ,

Thank you for your reply!

All reports in the workspace are displayed as blank.

I have tried different permissions (Admin, Member, Contributor etc) but the reports still do not display.

RLS is not used in the report, BUT I noticed that the user I shared the workspace with, is present only in the workspace itself and the report, BUT not in the dataset permission. Once I added the username to the dataset the report showed up. Now the question is: Is there anyway we can share the dataset using the REST API?

Thank you again!

Regards,

Arber

Hi, @arberceni 

I'm sorry.That's not available yet. You can suggest the feature as an idea in here.

This configuration must be done in Power Bi Service  now.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @arberceni ,

Are you using RLS ?  That could be a reason to see that the report "exists" but if you don't have permissions to see the visuals then it will appear as "blank".  Another option, which might seem silly, is to try in different browsers.  This has worked a number of times for folks.  Let us know if either of those resolve the issue.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hello @collinq,

No I am not using RLS. Here is the "Manage Role" window of the report in PowerBI Desktop

arberceni_0-1604409323145.png

I have tried different browsers as well as incognito windows, but nothing works.

Thank you,

Arber

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors