Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thimweijden
Frequent Visitor

Share your dashboard/report with a group in Azure AD

Hi all! I published a report to Power BI Service. Now I'm trying to share it with users within my Azure AD. Instead of share it with individual users (what is already working), I am trying to share it with a group within my Azure AD

Within the Azure admin portal, I made different security groups within the Active Directory. 

Nevertheless, in Power BI Service I can't see the groups which I defined. 

Does anybody have experienced the same? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I solved the problem. There isn't a solution for this problem, because it is just not possible to share a report with someone who is an 'external active directory' user within the same tenant. So there are basically two options: 

1. You have to add the domain of the emailadress from your 'external active directory user' in your Azure Active Directory as a custom domain name. (you also have to change the DNS settings in the server in that specific domain)

2. You have to make a new user (so not a guest user) within the Azure AD and give that user an emailadress with the same domain name as the owner of the Azure tenant. (The disadvantage of this is that the user can't use their own emailadress by logging in into Power BI)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @thimweijden ,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered to close this topic?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I solved the problem. There isn't a solution for this problem, because it is just not possible to share a report with someone who is an 'external active directory' user within the same tenant. So there are basically two options: 

1. You have to add the domain of the emailadress from your 'external active directory user' in your Azure Active Directory as a custom domain name. (you also have to change the DNS settings in the server in that specific domain)

2. You have to make a new user (so not a guest user) within the Azure AD and give that user an emailadress with the same domain name as the owner of the Azure tenant. (The disadvantage of this is that the user can't use their own emailadress by logging in into Power BI)

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @thimweijden ,

Could you have tried to go to O365 group to find the related group Email and share your content to it?

https://portal.office.com/AdminPortal/Home#/groups

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply! Currenty we don't have access to O365. Instead of that we use the Azure Portal. 

I also made the different AD groups within the Azure Portal and not in O365.

Hi @thimweijden ,

If you want to share your dashboards/reports for a whole group, you need to find the emial address for your group, but based on my test, it semmed that you just could find the email in O365:

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Hi Daniel, 

thanks for your help! 

So like I understood from your answer it is only possible with O365 and not with the Azure portal only? 

Below you can see, that there isn't any group email for the specific Azure group.

prinstcreen.png

Hi @thimweijden ,

Yes, I have found for the email in AAD before and I have not found any email address, so I searched for you and post the previous answer for you. So I suggest you to find the email address in O365 you could get the address easily.

Regards,

Daniel He

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors