Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerWhy
Helper III
Helper III

Share report without people being able to share link

Hi,

If I uncheck "Allow recipients to share this link" below, how does Microsoft know who I sent the link to? It is just a manually copied and pasted link that I put in an email? I don't see how Microsoft would know if a recipient forwarded the email (so long as it was to someone within the organisation)?

2022 06 30 1038.PNG

Thank you,

CW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @PowerWhy 

You're right. Microsoft do not know who you sent the link to. That checkbox "Allow recipients to share this report" controls whether this report can be shared once they have clicked on the link and brought the Report into their "Shared with me" folder. However it does not control the link, which as you say, can be forwarded to anyone else inside the organisation, who then get access to the Report via the link, but can't share the report though Power BI.

It's for these reasons that I tend not to use the "People in your organization" link (Which can be removed via an admin setting if you want). It's better to use the "Specific People" option which create a person-specific link which won't work if forwarded. But best to use the "Manage Permissions" on the three dots at the top, which gives finer control over who has access.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @PowerWhy 

You're right. Microsoft do not know who you sent the link to. That checkbox "Allow recipients to share this report" controls whether this report can be shared once they have clicked on the link and brought the Report into their "Shared with me" folder. However it does not control the link, which as you say, can be forwarded to anyone else inside the organisation, who then get access to the Report via the link, but can't share the report though Power BI.

It's for these reasons that I tend not to use the "People in your organization" link (Which can be removed via an admin setting if you want). It's better to use the "Specific People" option which create a person-specific link which won't work if forwarded. But best to use the "Manage Permissions" on the three dots at the top, which gives finer control over who has access.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors