Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerAuto82
Helper II
Helper II

Share options for a Linked Dataflow

Hi,

I want to share a Data Flow from another Workspace, so I did the following:

• Went to the new Workspace
  • Clicked on New >Dataflow >Link tables from other dataflows 
  • Signed in using the Organizational account authentication
  • Selected the Dataflow from the folder (I can see multiple Dataflows at this stage) and clicked Transform Data and then clicked on Save & close and then gave it a name for the pop up box Save your dataflow

One of the users who has access to the new Workspace wanted to connect to this Data Flow.

They opened Power BI DesktopGet Data > Dataflows > On the Navigator page but unable to see the dataflow, they can see the Workspace and other Dataflows in this Workspace but not the linked one?

I am assuming it is because they do not have access to the Workspace that I am using the Linked Service to?

The reason I cannot give them access to the original Workspace because there is secured data on there, the dataflow I wanted them to have accss to is a trimmed down version which excludes some of the secured fields.

What is the best option now?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You are correct in that for linked tables, they need access to the source.  What you can do in the same dataflow with the linked tables, is create a reference to the linked table (right click on the linked table and select reference).  This creates a computed table.  You can then add additional transformations in the computed table or leave as is.  Save the changes, and make sure you refresh and setup a schedued refresh for this dataflow.  Your users should now see the computed tables in the dataflow.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You are correct in that for linked tables, they need access to the source.  What you can do in the same dataflow with the linked tables, is create a reference to the linked table (right click on the linked table and select reference).  This creates a computed table.  You can then add additional transformations in the computed table or leave as is.  Save the changes, and make sure you refresh and setup a schedued refresh for this dataflow.  Your users should now see the computed tables in the dataflow.

Hi @blopez11 Thanks for this.

This seems to have done the trick, just to confirm there is no way the user can amend the dataflow and somehow add fields if they manage to amend this dataflow; we have tried to at our end and users are unable to Take over the Dataflow well they can Takeover but they cannot sign in as their Authentication fails.

But trying to look at different scenarios if there is posibilities of a user extracting fields they shouldn't be allowed to see.

Thanks 

If you just give your consumers the viewer role on the workspace where the dataflow exists, they should not be able to modify anything in the workspace.  Glad to hear it worked.

@blopez11 I haven't given them any role to the workspace where the original Dataflow exisits, and it still works; so good work!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors