Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ells
Helper II
Helper II

Seemless deployment

I am developing dataflows, data set and a report.

They will start in our Dev workspace. Then all move to UAT workspace. Then through to PROD workspace.

I dont want to be opening up the data set and report and changing where they go for data.

Can the data set detect which Power BI service it is in and then use that for the queries to load the data set?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ells,

This is exactly how deployment pipelines are built, please look at dataset rules- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/deployment-pipelines-get-started#step-4---c...

connection between reports and datasets are automatically updated between stages if on the same pipeline.

Only gap is that pipelines still don't support dataflows, but we are working on this now.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ells If I understand what you are going for, you would use Azure DevOps or Power BI Deployment Pipelines.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

So does power BI Deployment pipelines changes the queries in the data set? Dont think Azure Dev Ops does that. 

I think regardless of how they get moved the queries need to be dynamic based on the Pwer bi Workspace name.

Hope that helps

@Greg_Deckler 

Ok,

looked at Power BI Pipelines but as I dont have Premium on my test machine I cant prove or not that this will help but dont think its what I am looking for.

Still keen for a way for data set or report to realise the worklspace it is in. 

@ells,

This is exactly how deployment pipelines are built, please look at dataset rules- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/deployment-pipelines-get-started#step-4---c...

connection between reports and datasets are automatically updated between stages if on the same pipeline.

Only gap is that pipelines still don't support dataflows, but we are working on this now.

@Nimrod_Shalit 

Thanks. I did have a good look at the data pipelines and did notice they dont support dataflows. 

AS I think PPU is now available I may have a play with this later.

Many Thanks

E

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors