Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Doug_
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled Refresh is failing intermitently

Scheduled Refresh is failing intermitently , ( approx 2-3 times out of every 8 refreshes, but not always concurrently )after i added an Azsure SQL database table to my dataset.
I have an existing Azure SQL  connection from another server which works fine and never had these issues until now.

Initially i was going to go with a Postgres SQL from AWS but realised i needed an Gateway, so went with Azure to avoid that extra level of potential issue.
I never needed a gateway with the othe rSQL connection, so don't see that this connection would need one.

I increased the Connection Timeout in the Data Source settings in the pbix file to 30 from the default , which i believe is 10 mins., but only improved things for a couple of days before going back to the current failure rate.

Most times it refreshes ok when i manually refresh,s o it's a transient issue

The below list are an example of the Error Details returned after failing.

Processing error: Microsoft SQL: Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed during the post-login phase. The connection could have timed out while waiting for server to complete the login process and respond; Or it could have timed out while attempting to create multiple active connections. The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=33; handshake=88; [Login] initialization=0; authentication=0; [Post-Login] complete=29954
-----------------------------

Processing error: Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The wait operation timed out.

Processing error: Microsoft SQL: Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement. This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time. The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=349; handshake=91;

Processing error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Internal .NET Framework Data Provider error 6.'

If it was always a single reason, it might be easier to resolve, hence i'm reaching out for help.

cheers

Nigel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Note that you can specify two separate timeouts. In addition to the usual CommandTimeout (which you have addressed) you can also set the ConnectionTimeout  in Power Query. That may help overcome the slow login performance.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Doug_
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that, i didn't know about the extra Timeout option.
I added ConnectionTimeout = #duration(0,0,30,0) and it's refreshed everytime since.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Note that you can specify two separate timeouts. In addition to the usual CommandTimeout (which you have addressed) you can also set the ConnectionTimeout  in Power Query. That may help overcome the slow login performance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors