Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bas
Frequent Visitor

SQL On-Prem with Enterprise Gateway refresh issue

Hello,

I have a question. I created a report in Power BI Desktop and used a SQL On-Prem server as source. On the server the Enterprise Gateway is intalled (and working). In Power BI Desktop I used te Get Data option and choose DirectQuery. Next I published the report to the Power BI service with a Pro account.

Because I'm using the Enterprise Gateway and DirectQuery, the data will be refreshed automatically. 

I want to show the report and dashboards on a big screen which is always turned on.

But the data is not automatically refreshed without clicking the Refresh button in the ribbon.

Is it possible to refresh the data automatically without clicking the Refresh button?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Bas

As @ankitpatira mentioned, because your dataset uses DirectQuery, the only time data on a dashboard and/or report will change is when it is accessed and a query is sent to your on-premises data sources through the enterprise gateway.

It sounds like your question is referring to having a dashboard showing at all times and seeing real-time changes as either new data or pre-existing data changes. This is not possible unless a query is being sent from the Power BI Service to your on-premises data source through a gateway.

In your example, clicking the "refresh" button is equivalent to sending a query(s).

You can either click the refresh button or possibly set your dashboard webpage to refresh on a certain interval through your web browser in some way.

Hope this helps clarify things.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors