Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

icassiem
Helper V
Helper V

Restarting EC2 instance with On-Prem Gateway will Auto start the On-Prem Gateway?

Good Day, 

I am setting up a new env and selecting an EC2 instance for On-Prem Gateway & PowerBI Dev for sources (AWS RDS, Redshift & API)

Best Practise (8 CPU, 8GB RAM, 64-bit WinServer, SSD, multiple GB network)

I want to select "t3.2xlarge" as I don't necessarily want multiple EC2 for Dev & Gateway but due to cost. 

Due to me experimenting with Airflow and Python for sql scripts & api calls, I thought i could use this to stop and start the EC2 instance to reduce the cost, however chatgpt states the On-Prem gateway would need to be manually started to become online

When an Amazon EC2 instance running the Power BI Gateway is stopped and then started again, the Power BI Gateway service on that instance will need to be manually started for it to go online. The Power BI Gateway service does not automatically restart when the EC2 instance is started.

Kindly advise if this is true and if anyone else tried this solution im thinking or has a better plan please?

t3.xlarge$0.256416 GiBEBS OnlyUp to 5 Gigabit $190
t3.2xlarge$0.512832 GiBEBS OnlyUp to 5 Gigabit $373
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuxinyi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @icassiem 

You can try the following:

1. Open "Services" as shown in the screenshot.

vxuxinyimsft_2-1704965036952.png

2. Locate the On-Premise Data Gateway Service or a similarly named service in the Services application.
3. Right-click the service and select Properties.
4. In the Properties window, set the Startup type to Automatic.

vxuxinyimsft_3-1704965081548.png

5. Click OK to save the changes.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _Yuliax

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xuxinyi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @icassiem 

You can try the following:

1. Open "Services" as shown in the screenshot.

vxuxinyimsft_2-1704965036952.png

2. Locate the On-Premise Data Gateway Service or a similarly named service in the Services application.
3. Right-click the service and select Properties.
4. In the Properties window, set the Startup type to Automatic.

vxuxinyimsft_3-1704965081548.png

5. Click OK to save the changes.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _Yuliax

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank You Very Much  v-xuxinyi-msft

I tested this by restarting my existing legacy instance and the On-Prem services were running 🙂

Is it worth all the effort of having a python job to stop/start the inst or should i just go for the lesser inst

t3.xlarge" ?

icassiem
Helper V
Helper V

Hi,

Any Help, please?

1. Does the On-Prem come on-line after EC2 instance stop and Start

2. Is it worth all the effort of having a python job to stop/start the instance or should i just go for the lesser instance "

t3.xlarge" ?

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors