Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reports break when i add a new measure and re-publish?

One of the most frustrating problems i've been encountering is whenever i need to publish an update to an existing Power BI project.  The tiles on my reports can fail if link to a field or measure that is either new or renamed.  For some reason these database changes don't seem to publish along with the file, even if i'm not using a data gateway.  It is frustrating because the desktop file has these all correct but whatever process the Web version uses to update itself, doesn't cover this change.

So far my only recourse has been to delete the 'Dataset' from Power BI Web and publish again.  This of course means i need to update manually each of my 'Pin Live' dashboards.

Has anyone found a good way around this?  Is there a set of steps i can go through to refresh any updated field names and measures or getting it to recognise new measures?  I've attempted linking a data gateway and doing a manual refresh with that, but that does not solve this issue.

Any advice is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The solution is to close and re-open your browser.  The issue was a caching issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

I looks like the issue is on that specific field or measure. Can you refresh data within Power BI Desktop? If it works properly in Power BI Desktop, please try to import the .pbix file into Power BI instead of publishing it. See: Data sources for the Power BI service.

If you use gateway, make sure you update it into latest version and provide valid credential.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply @v-sihou-msft although you have me a little confused.

My present understanding of the development process is to create everything using Power BI Desktop and when i wish to use them through Power BI Web, that i'm supposed to Publish.

So in a scenario i might have a graph thats based on Measure A, but then someone asks if they can have a 2nd graph based on a new metric, which i'll create and called Measure B.  To do this i create Measure B and its associate Graph in my Power BI desktop.  I'll then save and click "Publish" and overwrite my existing data set.

When i go to Power BI on the web, the new graph exists but has the "I'm broken" message.  Looking at the tables inside the 'Edit Report's on Power BI web shows that the measure isn't present.  In the scenario when i rename a field, at this step the field name would be to the original name instead.

So my problem isn't so much about refreshing data, but more about getting Power BI Web to refresh the field names and acknowledge any new measures i've created.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The solution is to close and re-open your browser.  The issue was a caching issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors