Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report Visuals for Some End Users in Web Service Not Displaying

Hi,

I have a published report that appears completely fine for myself and other licensed users, but displays errors for other end users (which may be because they are on a pro license trial - this is the only defining factor I have so far).

The report is published to Workspace A and has it's own local model of a power bi dataset held in Workspace B. The dataset in worksapce B connects to sql server via the power bi gateway and is refreshed daily.

The local model in the report exists purely because there are many tables in the source dataset and I reduced the number of tables in the report whilst developing. This means the report published with its own dataset in Workspace A.

Users have Read access to the underling dataset in Workspace B and Viewer acess to Workspace A where the report & report's local dataset is held.

All users that I have asked to view this report can see the visuals correctly, except for the 2 users that recently started a pro trial.

I asked one problem user to clear their cache in chrome and try a different browser, both to no effect. The same user was able to see another report perfectly (it reads from a different dataset and doesn't have a local model), so it's narrowed down to a user-report specific relationship.

Any advice on how I can troubleshoot this further?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

What is the datasource of the local dataset model ? If it is Import connection mode , when you add the users in you workspace and give them the view role, they can access the corresponding report . If you connect to datasource with Live connection mode , you need map user in gateway .You can refer to the link below to learn how to map user in gateway .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas

Ailsamsft_0-1640159924487.png

Best Regard

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yetao1-msft 

The dataset is a local model for the specific report containing Live connection to some tables in a Power Bi dataset and some manually entered KPI data in Power Bi tables. The KPI-only data visuals show for the users, but any visuals holding data from the Power Bi datasets error so it is an issue authenticating to the Power Bi dataset. The user has Read permissions on the Power Bi dataset and can happily view other reports built from it (the Power Bi dataset is an import mode dataset reading from SQL Server).

How do I authenticate the user for this? There is no Gateway to the Power Bi dataset and the user has permissions to the report and Power Bi dataset already.

Oddly, this report works for a user who does not have any Permissions on the Power Bi dataset. I can't remove this access though as the user needs it for other reports.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @v-yetao1-msft 

Thanks for your response,

The report does have a local dataset in workspace A and I realise that this is because I added a manual entry data table which holds KPI targets to the model at the report level.

I agree it isn't the licenses, I set up another user on a trial license and it worked fine for them. The difference was I gave them Read access to the report vs. the Viewer access I gave the other uses to at the Workspace level.

So it seems this report does work when:

The user has Read access specifically to the report and Read access to the underlying dataset

The report does not work when:

The user has Viewer access on the Workspace and Read access to the underlying dataset

Will ask a user to confirm this change after swapping over but it will take some time as most are away over Christmas.

Seems weird but this is the only difference I can see between them. I'm not sure how the local dataset model is handling permissions?

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

From your description , I have a doubt , if you use the dataset in Workspace B to create a report and publish to Workspace A , there will be no dataset generated in Workspace A .

Ailsamsft_0-1639984958507.png

In addition , are all the data in report from the original datasource of dataset in Workspace B ? If not ,whether the end user have access to the data ?

What'more , the end use can access other report perfectly , that means it has nothing to do with their licenses, unless your access permissions are at the report level . So what you need to judge are :

(1)The difference between a report that can be accessed and a report that cannot be accessed ?

(2) Which level does the user have to access the report ? For dataset or report ?

(3)Did you apply the RLS for the specific report ?

Looking forward to your reply .

Best Regard

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors