Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pderaaij

Refreshing data from Lists works in Desktop not in PowerBI Service

Hi,

I have a PowerBI report that utilises data from a Sharepoint List and an ODBC connection to our A/S 400 (on-prem gateway). In PowerBI desktop the data can be refreshed perfectly, but as soon as we are using the online PowerBI service refreshing of data gives error. The error message is:

Data source error: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"The column 'DisplayName' of the table wasn't found."}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Detail","detail":{"type":1,"value":"DisplayName"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Expression.Error"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: ThirdPartyCapacity.
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 54dc8d30-36e9-46e4-a17e-b233e8eb8ce0
Request ID: 5dd72ecb-2cf2-6082-a9a9-9c8ced7027f7
Time: 2023-07-20 11:11:32Z  

I don't understand what's going on. The structure of the list is quite simple with only a couple of single line-texts and a choice column. 

Any idea how I can solve this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pderaaij

Well, it looks I found the problem.

I've initially configured the dataset to map the Sharepoint via the Gateway. I didn't do that because of a specific reason other then thaat I thought this was necessary. Turns out, you shouldn't. I presume that if you add a gateway mapping to the Lists datasource it routes the connection via the on-premise gateway. Something you don't want for the online Sharepoint environment.

Setting the List mapping blank resolved my issue.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
pderaaij

Well, it looks I found the problem.

I've initially configured the dataset to map the Sharepoint via the Gateway. I didn't do that because of a specific reason other then thaat I thought this was necessary. Turns out, you shouldn't. I presume that if you add a gateway mapping to the Lists datasource it routes the connection via the on-premise gateway. Something you don't want for the online Sharepoint environment.

Setting the List mapping blank resolved my issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors