Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Orstenpowers
Post Patron
Post Patron

Refresh of pbix and at app.powerbi.com

Dear all,

I am lost and stuck.

I have several pbix files of which some are uploaded to app.powerbi.com.

Up to now my workflow is as follows:

First I need to manually update my pbix files by pushing “Refresh”.

Afterwards I switch to app.powerbi.com and again manually upload the pbix files that I had refreshed before.

I read a lot and understood there is way to automate this at least a bit.

However, many questions remain.

1. Is it possible to refresh the pbix files automatically? Or do I always need to open & update it manually?
  2. How do I implement the update at app.powerbi.com? Does it have access to the pbix files and can update it?
  3. Do these regular refreshs/ updates only work when the PC is online or is there any way that it also works in case of absence, vacation, illness etc.?

My main problem is that I am a f…. stupid PBI user, but when it comes to – let’s say – technical aspects, I am lost.

Hopefully someone out of this great community can help me…

4 REPLIES 4
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

First, you are a CURIOUS Power BI user, definitely not stupid!

1. Yes, in Power BI Service you can schedule a refresh. If all of your data sources are cloud sources, you will not need a gateway - if they are on-prem, you will need a gateway

2. Yes, when you publish to service service knows where the data sources are and refreshes the data (if clod sources you generally don't need a gateway, if you used on-prem you will need a gateway)

3. It will automatically work so long as the sources are in the cloud or if you are using a standard gateway that is on a VM and always running (if you need a gateway and you used a personal gateway, your computer will need to be on and and personal gateway will need to be on in order to refresh in service, so I would suggest an standard gateway if you do need a gateway)

Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI

Guidance for deploying a data gateway for the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @audreygerred and thanks for your prompt reply!

What does "cloud sources" mean? Also files that are stored in Dropbox, Onedrive, Sharepoint?

As I want to have a solution that will work in case of absence, I do need a standard gateway, correct?

Best regards

OrstenPowers

Cloud sources are generally sources that are not on-prem (i.e. Azure Synapse, OneDrive, SharePoint, etc.). For example, if you are connecting to an Excel file and use the Excel connector, this is on-prem, on your computer. When I want to connect to an Excel file, I save it to SharePoint and use the web connector. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @audreygerred ,

Thank you!
As I learned this morning from our local IT, we will not store the relevant files in Cloud, but on our local servers only.

As far as I understand, for these on-prem files we will need a standard gateway that is on a VM and always running.

For the moment, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors