Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BalaKrish
Helper I
Helper I

Refresh is failing : PostgreSQL with PowerBI Service

Dear All,

I am facing the following issue when I am trying to refresh the dataset in PowerBI service.

"We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'Npgsql'. This error could've been the result of provider-specific client software being required, but missing on this computer. To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose the 64-bit (x64) version of, at minimum, 'Npgsql version 2.0.12': https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=282716"

Datasource : Postgresql (AWS RDS)

On-premise datagateway is installed

Npgsql 3.2.6 is also installed in the same machine where data-gateway is installed.

any idea why is this happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BalaKrish

As suggested by @venal ,the refresh errors show that the data source from PostgreSQL isn't configured correctly.

Check whether you can connect the data source, if not,pls take the following steps:

Step 1: Download the latest MSI from this page and install it in your machine.

Step 2: Once this is done, you can now try connecting Power BI to PostgreSQL. However you will notice below error

161.png

Once you restart your machine, you can now connect to PostgreSQL and start playing with your data. Below are the steps for connecting Power BI Desktop Tool to PostgreSQL:

Step 1: Open pgAdmin III interface to create database, table and few records to display in your report as shown in screen capture below162.png

Step 2: Open Power BI Desktop Tool and click ‘Get Data’ and select PostgreSQL Database

Step 3: Enter server name (in our case it is localhost), database name, username and password as shown in below screen capture

163.png

Step 4: Select required table from database and click load as shown in screen capture below

164.png

Step 5: Once data is loaded in model, you can start playing around with the data and create beautiful visualizations/reports as shown in image below and later publish it to Power BI Online Service

Be sure that there arent any crediential and gateway errors then refresh.

Best Regards,

Kelly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BalaKrish

As suggested by @venal ,the refresh errors show that the data source from PostgreSQL isn't configured correctly.

Check whether you can connect the data source, if not,pls take the following steps:

Step 1: Download the latest MSI from this page and install it in your machine.

Step 2: Once this is done, you can now try connecting Power BI to PostgreSQL. However you will notice below error

161.png

Once you restart your machine, you can now connect to PostgreSQL and start playing with your data. Below are the steps for connecting Power BI Desktop Tool to PostgreSQL:

Step 1: Open pgAdmin III interface to create database, table and few records to display in your report as shown in screen capture below162.png

Step 2: Open Power BI Desktop Tool and click ‘Get Data’ and select PostgreSQL Database

Step 3: Enter server name (in our case it is localhost), database name, username and password as shown in below screen capture

163.png

Step 4: Select required table from database and click load as shown in screen capture below

164.png

Step 5: Once data is loaded in model, you can start playing around with the data and create beautiful visualizations/reports as shown in image below and later publish it to Power BI Online Service

Be sure that there arent any crediential and gateway errors then refresh.

Best Regards,

Kelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the similar issue. Actually in desktop I can connect over native connector (in order to do that SSL had to disabled on serverside). But after publishing to service and with the first try it failed with this message PostgreSQL source doesn't support encrypted connections. I've also tried to with enabled SSL and dataset on service to refresh it but then it throws error like Certificate validation problem. In general I want to avoid gateway as PostgreSQL connector is native one and connection is available on desktop I can't understand what could be the issue on service. Therefore I've also tried with installed certificate on local machine but I assume as I mentioned it is local machine and there is no so much in common with connection on service. 

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@BalaKrish 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Configuring-Power-BI-Connectivity-to-PostgreSQL-Data...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7170610-aws-rds-postgresql

Please refer the above links.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR,

venal.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors