Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PaulusD
Resolver II
Resolver II

Refresh error "end of buffer" for some reports

Hi all,

two of my reports aren't  refreshing at the moment and i'm getting the following error:

PaulusD_0-1700117462580.png

the reference table is a dataflow in the service. manual refresh from within the desktop runs just fine.

I found some topics suggesting to emtpy the cache in the desktop, did that

Deleting and republishing could help, did that

Checked the dataflow itself for errors en refresh it manually from within the service, did that

And still i'm getting the above message.

Can anyone provide some more tips on how to resolve this?

FYI all other reports and dataflows are running just fine.

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

we're on Pro lincenses, i was hoping to find the smoking bullet on the forum but perhaps a ticket is the better way to go.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

PaulusD
Resolver II
Resolver II

so a quick update for those running into the same issues, perhaps this helps.

I raised a support ticket and got the problem solved.

During debugging we found that the semantic model saved to service requires a connetion to either a on premises dataway or a cloud connection. This part was obvious and known.

However when a new cloud connection was created, I couldn't hit the apply button. I had to select a connection to a on premises dataway, then re-select the cloud connection, and then I was able to save the link.

After splitting m queries, publishing and other attempts, this seemed to be what was going wrong on my side.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaulusD
Resolver II
Resolver II

so a quick update for those running into the same issues, perhaps this helps.

I raised a support ticket and got the problem solved.

During debugging we found that the semantic model saved to service requires a connetion to either a on premises dataway or a cloud connection. This part was obvious and known.

However when a new cloud connection was created, I couldn't hit the apply button. I had to select a connection to a on premises dataway, then re-select the cloud connection, and then I was able to save the link.

After splitting m queries, publishing and other attempts, this seemed to be what was going wrong on my side.

As a word of warning - Do not merge queries in Power Query.  Absolutely do not merge queries that come from an on-premise data source and a cloud data source.  Because if you do that your cloud data source will now also need a gateway.  And once you go down that rat hole of creating a gateway connection for your cloud data source you will never ever be able to switch that off again.

any idea on what happens when you do this?

i think we haven't done this yet, hope i'm right. mostly using cloud sources as dim tables with relations.

merging in power query makes refreshing super slow as well is my experience.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi - otherwise you can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues .

we're on Pro lincenses, i was hoping to find the smoking bullet on the forum but perhaps a ticket is the better way to go.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors