Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KF-Hornsby
Frequent Visitor

RLS not passing through from linked dataset

Hi Folks,

I have a premium workspace where I have built a model specifically for RLS.  It's a simple model that contains all the approved users and what categories of products and what regions those users are allowed to see.  When I "View As" in my model, the RLS works perfectly.

The intention of this model was to manage RLS in one workspace/model so we wouldn't have to replicate the security on every other model we built.

I then built a Sales data model in a different workspace and pulled in the RLS model into it via direct query.  I joined the category and region tables to my RLS model and published it.  Everything WAS working perfectly a year or so ago.  

I did the same with my stock model and my Purchase Orders model, joining all three to my RLS model and maintaining security in one place.

I've just done a show-and-tell session with someone and I've discovered today that RLS is not being passed through to my data models and users can see all data, whether they're on the RLS model or not.  Nothing has changed in the way we have linked these models to the RLS model.

A) What's changed and when?  I can't seem to find anything that would indicate RLS no longer passes through to connected models.

B) Has anyone got an idea about how to make this work again as I can't see anything to change.

Kind regards to you all

D

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KF-Hornsby 

As far as I know RLS has to be implemented on each dataset. This means that you have to configure the security through each dataset.

Also if you can make sure that the users only have got read permissions on each of the datasets?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors