Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TechMG
Frequent Visitor

RLS in Paginated Reports by using Power BI dataset

Hi,

I have Power BI dataset which has RLS rules(created dax expression) in it. When i validate the data in Power BI desktop RLS is working fine. 

I have now created Power BI paginated report by using Power BI dataset which was deployed in service. Without RLS, if I run the report in Report Builder, report is working fine. Now I have implemented RLS in power BI data set and deploy the Paginated report in workspace. Both Power BI dataset and Paginated report are in same workspace and I have added respective users in dataset security for validating the RLS.

When I executed the repport by login as one of the program user, the report is not showing any data and it is showing only blank report.

Below is the DAX function which we used to have RLS in manage roles serction in desktop.

[ProgramId] IN CALCULATETABLE (
VALUES ('Dim_Clinic'[ProgramId] ),
FILTER ( Dim_Clinic, Dim_Clinic[ClinicID] IN
CALCULATETABLE (
VALUES ('Bridge_UserClinicBridge'[ClinicID] ), FILTER ( 'Bridge_UserClinicBridge', 'Bridge_UserClinicBridge'[UserID] IN
CALCULATETABLE (
VALUES ('Dim_User'[UserID]), FILTER('Dim_User', 'Dim_User'[InternalEmailAddress] = USERPRINCIPALNAME() )
)))))

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TechMG
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks to all. I have resolved the issue and now able to see the data by using RLS. I have passed paramter values from Power BI dataset to embeded paginated report.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TechMG
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks to all. I have resolved the issue and now able to see the data by using RLS. I have passed paramter values from Power BI dataset to embeded paginated report.

Thanks.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @TechMG 

It appears to me that your DAX function for your RLS, is potentially not working when using paginated reports. What I would suggest doing is to try and simplify your RLS DAX function. 

Also can you make sure that the user has got valid permissions on the paginated report/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ ,

Thanks for your quick responce. For validating the RLS, I have added another page in Power BI desktop and it is working fine. And also, I have embeded the paginated report in Power Bi desktop and trying to map the parameters. However, I am unable to select the Power BI report field.

TechMG_0-1704751012968.png

Thanks in Advance

Hi @TechMG 

Could you log in as the user as try and see what happens?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ ,

I have verified the data which I was added another page in report and published in service. 

I have logged in as One of the Program user into service , ran the report and I could see the data for that perticular program user.

The issue is with Paginated Report only. 

Correct me if I haven't understand your question.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey guys @GilbertQ @TechMG 

I think because Paginated report using dataset in the service uses a direct query mode connection and CALCULATEDTABLE function is not supported for DQ connections.

aj1973_0-1704757960631.png

To Be Verified !!

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi @TechMG 

Yeah that then sounds like an issue with paginated reports, I would log a support ticket.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors