Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vsmurli
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Questions about how Consumers will access Published Content after we switch from Pro to Premium

Hi all,

My company currently has 63 Power BI Pro licenses.  3 are used for Report Creators and 30 are for internal consumers and 30 are for external consumers who consume the content mostly in Apps and sometimes in Workspaces within the Power BI Service.  Our consumers also have build permission on the Datasets, from which to build their own Reports from My Workspace.

We are interested in upgrading to Premium.  We want to retain the 3 Pro licenses for creators and get rid of the 30+30 Pro licenses for consumers.  We are also interested in embedding the Power BI Content in our external Software Application.

Questions:

1.) If we get rid of the 30+30 Pro licenses for all the consumers, will those consumers still be able to access the content in the Power BI Service the same as they are now, via Apps and sometimes Workspaces?

2.) If yes, do consumers simply log into the Power BI Service as usual with their Microsoft login credentials?

3.) Do the consumers have to be in our Azure AD?

4.) Will consumers have build permission on the datasets in My Workspace?  Will they even have a My Workspace?

5.) If I as a creator retain a Pro license, will I still be able to Share and Subscribe consumers without Pro licenses to various content?

6.) Will I be able to Share and Subscribe consumers without Pro licenses who are also not in our Azure AD?

7.) If we embed Power BI Reports and Dashboards in our external Software Application (which already requires a separate login), will users have to once again "sign in" to view the Power BI content?

I hope the questions are clear.  Thanks so much to anyone who can clarify these points!

Thank you so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@vsmurli - Here is my understanding. There are probably finer points that I am missing because I am not the licensing guru.

1. Yes if you move those workspaces to Premium capacity

2. Yes

3. I do not believe so

4. Yes but if they want to share they will have to move the reports to Premium capacity or have a Pro license.

5. You will move workspaces to Premium capacity to do this

6. See 5

7. Not if you do it correctly

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@vsmurli - Here is my understanding. There are probably finer points that I am missing because I am not the licensing guru.

1. Yes if you move those workspaces to Premium capacity

2. Yes

3. I do not believe so

4. Yes but if they want to share they will have to move the reports to Premium capacity or have a Pro license.

5. You will move workspaces to Premium capacity to do this

6. See 5

7. Not if you do it correctly

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors