Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

wtdpon
Helper I
Helper I

Query timeout in Athena engine version 3

Hi everyone, 

Since AWS has recently upgraded their engine to version 3, some of our datasets conected to a view are failing due to query timeout error. It looks as this may be a compatibility issue or that we need to upgrade something on microsoft side, because running the query in athena directly takes 1 minute ... vs the timeout in the dataset.

I am trying to find information about this or more people with this issue, can anyone help?

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @wtdpon 

Are you connecting using the Power BI Data Gateway or connecting directly? I. have not had any issues with customers when I am using the Power BI data gateway.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi, we use the gateway. 

The issue is very recent (1 week tops) that's why we think it's related to the aws engine update. We have been testing queries and it seems that the issue is that the new engine works worse with large queries, so not a microsoft / power bi issue.

Hi @wtdpon 

I have been using the aws engine V3 for at least two months now, about any issues in terms of performance. If. there is an issue, I would chat to Athena Admin to see if they can find any issues.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors