Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

filip_u_s
Regular Visitor

Publishing report creates a secondary dataset

Hi all.

I Created a dataset where I prepare the excel data for consumption... and then I created two reports with a direct query to this dataset.
But the weird part is that when I publish one of the reports it creates a secondary dataset between the dataset and the report. (See image)

I checked and the secondary dataset got an hourly refreshrate... while the first dataset has a manual refreshrate.

First... Why does the publication of the report creates a dataset with an hourly refreshrate, when it's based on the dataset with the manual setting?

Second... even if I turn off the hourly refreshrate on the secondary dataset... I can't remove it without removing the dataset... is there anyway to get PowerBI to get that it doesn't need that set and remove it?

(p.s. the excelfile only updates once a month, so an hourly refresh rate is just wasted capacity)

filip_u_s_0-1685602631276.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
filip_u_s
Regular Visitor

After some experimenting I actually manage to fix it this time.

It turned out that the Direct Query connection I had made the publication of the report create a secondary dataset.

I went into "Transform data" and removed the data connection, after which I closed and saved the transformation.
After that I went into "Get data" and selected a "Power BI-datasets" connection and connected it again to the main source.
When I the published the report it created a new report without a secondary dataset.

Not really sure what kind of DirectQuery connection I had from the beginning... but sure seems the way you connect to the data makes the difference.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
filip_u_s
Regular Visitor

After some experimenting I actually manage to fix it this time.

It turned out that the Direct Query connection I had made the publication of the report create a secondary dataset.

I went into "Transform data" and removed the data connection, after which I closed and saved the transformation.
After that I went into "Get data" and selected a "Power BI-datasets" connection and connected it again to the main source.
When I the published the report it created a new report without a secondary dataset.

Not really sure what kind of DirectQuery connection I had from the beginning... but sure seems the way you connect to the data makes the difference.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors