Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Publishing a model does not publish the report

This looks like it just started today or yesterday:

When I PUBLISH from Power BI Desktop, it should publish both the Dataset and the Report. It seems to only be publishing the Dataset. The associated Report is NOT affected. I have verified by downloading again the Dataset (to a different name) and inspecting the report that came with it. It is the old version.

Next, I deleted the report from Power BI service and re-published the model. The report did not show back up. 

Is there some new Option that only published the Dataset and not the Report? 

How do I get my latest Report changes to show up?

I have also tried UPLOADING a file from Power BI service and the Report does not show up with the Dataset.

Is this a bug?

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

3 REPLIES 3
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Yes, import mode, but I suspect that shouldn't matter as that is a function of the Dataset, not the report. 

I even tried lanching an in-private browser session and that still showed either no report or the old report.

I then tried creating a Report from the Dataset on the service and saved it with the same name. I then Published from Power BI Desktop. The message after the publishing operation was that 1 report was affected. But that report was NOT affected. 

I could not affort time to trace this down. I needed it solved. My resolution was to delete both the Report and Dataset in the service, then re-publish from Power BI Desktop. That seemed to fix it. I had to move on.

BTW, I do not consider this action a "FIX" and will NOT be marking this answer as a resolution (to all you moderators out there 🙂 ). 

This might be a case where the original Report and Dataset objects were at one point renamed in the service (can't remember). That action may have 'broken the link' between the two. But still, with the Report being totally deleted from the service, re-publishing or re-uploading the model SHOULD have brought a new copy of the Report object with it, yes?

Bug? If I were to recreate this scenario, where would I file a bug?

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

But still, with the Report being totally deleted from the service, re-publishing or re-uploading the model SHOULD have brought a new copy of the Report object with it, yes?

You are correct. That should have fixed it. But yes, I have also encountered issue where renaming was done in the service and not in the original pbix, and that did cause some other issue.

You can report the bug here.

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

That is odd. You are using Import mode, right? I am not aware of any new feature for publishing, could be a bug. Also try clearing the cache of the browser.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors