Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

adamwebb
Regular Visitor

Publishing Report Doesn't Overwrite Existing Report

Hello,

I have a report and associated dataset that I'm constantly improving/updating. I have noticed recently that when I publish from PowerBI desktop, everything appears to go normally (I get a popup asking if I want to replace the dataset, I click yes, I get the Success popup) however when I access the report online, the report has not updated. The only workaround this is to delete the old report and upload, which fixes the issue and displays the new report.

Anybody got any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong here, or whether this is a known bug? 

I'm running the latest (November 2020) version of PowerBI Desktop. 

Thanks

Adam

5 REPLIES 5
Berenice
Regular Visitor

Hello, I do have the same issue. Did you figure out a solution?

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @adamwebb 

What do you mean by “Report has not updated”? The dataset or the report? If the dataset is not refreshed, you can try to click “download as pbix” and change the dataset name to be consistent with the name of the report you downloaded, and you can update the report and dataset and publish again to replace the current report and dataset.

What’s more, you can try to set the scheduled refresh for your dataset, so that you do not need to publish to update the dataset every time. To make some changes to the report in Power BI Service, you can go to the Edit view to edit the report.

More limitations of publishing reports to service

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, Also are you using the 64 bit version?

That has caused issue in past for some users.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please check if the dataset name in Power BI service matches with your pbix name.

Thanks for the reply @Anonymous , yes the names all match for both Datasets and Reports. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors