Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

AxiomaticOne
Frequent Visitor

Predict Premium efficiency FE, SE, SE CPU, and Capacity Units (CUs)

How do I determine if a change I make in my semantic model will decrease the number of Capacity Units (all other things being equal) and roughly how much?

Is there a tool (Dax Studio, Performance Analyzer, etc.) that I can run the queries before and after against and measure the difference that I can then use to make a very rough projection?

2024-04-22 16_45_25-Chat _ Rob Solfest _ Microsoft Teams.png2024-04-22 13_09_59-Greenshot.png

Background:

• We're maxing out CUs in Premium P3 capacity.
  • I've added an aggregate table that is 75% smaller than my initial table.
  • I get great results for duration and Total that I would expect when looking at performance analyzer and DAX Studio, but the thing that jumped out to me is SE CPU is 50% higher. WHAT?!
  • I've searched google, forums, reddit for the past 2 hrs for an answer.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @AxiomaticOne 

The storage engine is where it goes to actually get the data from and that is why you will see more capacity units consumed. I'm. not sure why it is not using your aggregated table. You would need to check this using SQL Server Management Studio to make sure that it is using the access from your aggregated table in terms of performance testing. You could look at using studio benchmarking to see if there is any improvement over time. other than that you would need to get in a consultant who understands this better to assist you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @AxiomaticOne 

The storage engine is where it goes to actually get the data from and that is why you will see more capacity units consumed. I'm. not sure why it is not using your aggregated table. You would need to check this using SQL Server Management Studio to make sure that it is using the access from your aggregated table in terms of performance testing. You could look at using studio benchmarking to see if there is any improvement over time. other than that you would need to get in a consultant who understands this better to assist you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ thanks for taking the time to reply. I had run that a couple times and got a higher SE CPU each time. I just don't understand that.

Below for those curious.

That said I did do the Benchmark testing in Dax Studio and got a satisfactory result that I'm going to move forward with this approach.2024-04-22 18_47_56-Book1 - Excel.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors