Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

paul_hancock
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi - Olap - Data Credentials and Refresh Greyed Out

Hi All,

I am Importing Data from a SQL Server via an OLAP connection, However when published in the workspace the credentials and the refresh options are greyed out. 

Data Credentials and Refresh.jpg

If I run a refresh from power bi desktop, it connects and refreshes the data no problem. 

However If I run a refresh from the connection in power bi, it comes up with the following message. 

Error code: DMTS_DatasourceHasNoCredentialError
Connection error: Connection has no credentials
Cluster URI: https://api.powerbi.com

Thanks in advance 

Paul 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well. Unless it's an Azure Service like Azure Analysis Services, then I would say you should use an OnPremise data Gateway. I haven't seen before a connection to an OLAP outside Microsoft Cloud or an Onprem. It's like a third party cloud that allows SQL Server analysis Services. If you have a VM with the SQL Server, you might need a gateway right there. If the olap is a service at a Cloud, we might need to read about that cloud as source.

In case you have the VM with the server and you want to install the Gateway to make it work, then consider it should be "Standard Mode". The Personal one won't let you connect correctly with Analysis Services.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Is this an on premise data source or is it in a cloud? what cloud? what does gateway and cloud connections menu have?

We might neee dmore info. There is a similar issue in the following post and it was regarding gateway: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Scheduled-Refresh-greyed-out-no-option-to-alter-da...

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. This is my fosrt time working with a OLAP connection.

The data source is hosted on a external SQL Server, not on premise.

When i published the report, it automaticly set up the connection as on premise ? with the following. Connection Screenshot.jpg

settings.jpg

When i try to update the Authentication and Privacy, and save, I suggests its updating but never does. 

If i try to set up a new connection, using the cloud option, I get as far as adding all the relevent information.

Paul

Well. Unless it's an Azure Service like Azure Analysis Services, then I would say you should use an OnPremise data Gateway. I haven't seen before a connection to an OLAP outside Microsoft Cloud or an Onprem. It's like a third party cloud that allows SQL Server analysis Services. If you have a VM with the SQL Server, you might need a gateway right there. If the olap is a service at a Cloud, we might need to read about that cloud as source.

In case you have the VM with the server and you want to install the Gateway to make it work, then consider it should be "Standard Mode". The Personal one won't let you connect correctly with Analysis Services.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors