Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dom87326
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI app refresh failing

Hello, 

I'm starting to use Apps and App Workspace in Power BI.

The problem is: When we re-upload a report from the Desktop (with the same name to App workspace), it updates the App Workspace by creating separate file, but it doesn't update the existing one. Is it intended to be like so? As a result we get two separate reports and datasets. 

It would work as a solution, but we can't delete the original dataset:

"Delete dataset

This dataset can't be deleted because it's included in the published app. Try again after unpublishing the app or updating the app after removing all related content."

Update app button doesn't work as well, while unpublishing the app requires set up from scratch. 

Did anyone faced a similar problem, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
edhans
Super User
Super User

1. To delete a dataset, you need to go to the Reports view, and uncheck the slider on the far right that says "include in App." Then republish the app. Now you can delete the report and dataset.
  2. Uploading a PIBX with the same name should just overwrite the one in the workspace, not create a second one. I just uploaded a PBIX directly and it worked fine yesterday. Additionally, you can publish the PBIX from Power BI Desktop, and it will warn you you will overwrite. Have you tried that?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi, @Dom87326 

I‘m not sure what your mean by  'with the same name to App workspace'.

Please ensure that the new report name is the same as the original report name  rather than app workspace name. Then publish the new report to the same workspace to update the report content and update app.

93.png

94.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hello @v-easonf-msft , 

Thanks for your message, let me expand on the issue:

I created workspace 'Client Reports' where I published all content. But when I create and install an App, it contains everything that was in the previous workspace, however in a separate workspace 'Client Reports <date stamp>'. I believe they are so intricatelly conected, that if you try to delete a dataset from a 'Client Reports' , it warns you that this data is used in an App.

The problem is: When I re-upload a report from the Desktop, it updates the Report in 'Client Reports', but it doesn't update the App. Is it intended to be like so? Alongside this 'Update App' button doesn't change the report with the new one.

2021-10-19 19_41_13-Power BI.png

You should contact support @Dom87326 - there should not be a separate workspace for the app, and there should not be a workspace with a name like that with the date and time. I am wondering if a Power BI Admin in your tenant accidentally did that with a Power Shell script.

In any event, Apps do not work across workspaces so the apps in either of those workspaces cannot see reports or changes in the other one.

If it were me, I'd verify the right reports were in the Client Reports workspace, then publish and use that app, and delete the other workspace.

If it recreates itself, then definitely contact support. 

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

@edhans 

Thanks for you reply. 

It's possible to overwrite report and dataset in the original workspace, however it's not synchronizing updates with app workspace, thus app is not refreshed even when selecting 'Update App'.

2021-10-16 15_23_19-Power BI.png

I'm not sure what you are referring to. A Power BI app for a workspace is in that workspace. There is no separate App Workspace. Today, there is a 1:1 relationship. An app is for one workspace, and cannot include content from another workspace, though a report in the app may be accessing a data model from another workspace. And A workspace can only have one app.

This will change in the coming months, but it will just allow multiple apps within a workspace. There are no plans to my knowledge to have a separate "app workspace"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors